You have indicated that you wish to withdraw from one or more courses this semester. Withdrawing from course(s) can have consequences for your future. This session will tell you about those consequences, and give you options before you make your final decision.

If you would like to open any links while completing the SMART Check, please right click on the link and choose, "Open link in a New Tab."

Withdrawal Period

Check the academic calendar for the last day to withdraw for full term courses:

If your class is not full term, check your last day to withdraw on by selecting the course CRN (Course Reference Number).

Consequences of Withdrawing - Make a SMART Choice 
SSAPWithdrawing will affect Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), jeopardizing financial aid in future terms.
MMoneyWithdrawing does not cancel tuition or fees. You are still charged for courses from which you withdraw.
AAcademic  RecordCourse withdrawals appear on your academic record and may affect graduate & career opportunities.
RRepayIf you withdraw, you may be required to repay a portion of your aid back to the university.
TTime to  DegreeWithdrawing extends the time and cost of your degree.
S - Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) - Withdrawing will affect Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), jeopardizing financial aid in future terms. 

Satisfactory academic progress (SAP) is a term used to describe successful completion of coursework toward a degree or certificate. This policy applies to all students who receive federal and state financial aid, Board of Governors scholarships and grants, departmental awards and some awards from external university sources.

Even if you do not use financial aid, the Office of Student Financial Aid will review your account for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). If, in a future semester, you apply for financial aid and you are not meeting standards, you will not be eligible to receive funds. 

S - Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) - for financial aid recipients


There are 3 criteria you must meet to at the end of each semester:

1  Cumulative grade point average - You must maintain a 2.0 GPA in undergraduate, Pharm.D. or JD programs, and a 3.0 GPA for graduate programs. 

1  Pace - At least 67 percent of all the credits you attempted must have passing grades. Your Pace is calculated by dividing the cumulative hours that you have successfully completed by the cumulative credits you have attempted. 

1  Maximum time frame - Undergraduate and graduate students must complete a degree or certificate program in no more than 150 percent of the average published length of the program. 

Note: Both pace and maximum time frame are measured in credits only, regardless of full-time or part-time attendance.


You should check your status in Academica. Go to:

·          Academica (

·         Choose “Student Resources” then “Financial Aid”.

·         Click on “My Satisfactory Academic Progress”.

Note, WSU Law School: Law School student’s status is reviewed annually, and warning status does not apply. If you are not meeting standards, you will be denied aid. You may complete a SAP appeal.


What does your status mean? 
M – Money - Withdrawing does not cancel tuition or fees. You are still charged for courses from which you withdraw.

Lost tuition dollars
When you withdraw from a course(s) you still pay the full cost of the course. Wayne State does not offer a partial refund.

Looking at the tuition calculator for an in state student, a lower division course with 3 credit hours would be an estimated loss of $1,492. If you are a graduate student, this estimated loss would be $2,437 for a 3 credit hour course.

# of credits withdrawn

Tuition and fees cost for credits withdrawn (based on average Undergraduate, lower division, In-State cost)

Cost of the withdrawal + the cost to retake the course

3 credits



4 credits



5 credits



6 credits



7 credits



8 credits



9 credits



10 credits



11 credits



12 credits



15 credits



Money - Your Financial Aid

Can you run out of Financial Aid?

Having a good graduation plan includes calculating how much financial aid will be available to you. If your degree requires 120 credits, you will need to enroll in 15 credits each semester in order to graduate in four years. 
  • Federal Pell Grant  - limited to 12 semesters of awards for full-time enrollment 
  • How do I determine my remaining eligibility?
    Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU) is tracked by the U.S. Department of Education and is based on full-time enrollment. 

    • Full-time enrollment (12 or more credits per semester) = 50% Pell Grant
    • Three-quarters time enrollment (9, 10 or 11 credits per semester) = 37.5% Pell Grant
    • One-half time enrollment (6, 7 or 8 credits per semester) = 25% Pell Grant
    • Less than one-half time (5 or less credits per semester) = 12.5% Pell Grant
    • Log on to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) website using your FSA ID to view your Pell LEU under "Grants. "  You will see your percentage used. 

The amount in loan funds that you are eligible to borrow each academic year is limited by the following factors:

  • grade level
  • dependent or an independent student
  • financial need
  • cost of attendance

Student levelLifetime maximum loan limit
Undergraduate dependent students (including second baccalaureate, teacher certification and post-baccalaureate certificate programs)$31,000 (of which no more than $23,000 can be subsidized loans)
Undergraduate independent students (including second baccalaureate, teacher certification and post-baccalaureate certificate programs)$57,500 (of which no more than $23,000 can be subsidized loans)
Graduate/professional students$138,500, including undergraduate loans (of which no more than $65,500 can be subsidized loans)
Allopathic medicine and other graduate students in certain health professions$224,000, including undergraduate loans (of which no more than $65,500 can be subsidized
Repaying your loans
If you drop all of your courses or if you drop to less than half time, your loans will be due. You must repay your loans even if you do not complete your program.

  • Scholarships and WSU Grants - awarded only two to four years depending on your status. 

  • Do you have a scholarship?
    Annually, the Office of Student Financial Aid will review your academic progress to determine if you are meeting the scholarship provisions. If you do not meet the scholarship requirements, your award will not be applied to your student account and may be canceled.

    If you are an undergraduate student, merit award renewal criteria include earning 24 – 30 credit hours during the academic year to retain your award.  You can check our website to see how many credits you must complete at Wayne State per academic year to renew your scholarship.


    John has a Gold scholarship and enrolled in 12 credits in fall.  He withdraws from 3 credit hours, and has a final grade point average of 3.0. For winter, John enrolls in 14 credit hours, and withdraws from 4 credit hours. His final winter grade point average was a 3.0.

    John has only completed 19 of the 26 credit hours for the fall and winter semesters, and his cumulative grade point average (GPA) is a 3.0.  John goes to, to see if he can keep his Gold scholarship for next year.

    WSU Cumulative GPA Required to renew his Gold scholarship is a 3.3. The website also states, "You must earn a minimum of 30 credits each academic year."  John has only earned 19 credits fall and winter and his cumulative GPA is a 3.0.  John will lose his Gold scholarship.

    Limits on Financial Aid for Repeated Courses  
    Federal financial aid will pay for only one repeat if you have previously earned credit in a course with a passing grade. 
    • You are only eligible to receive financial aid the first time the course is repeated. 
    Example: If you are registered for 12 credits, and one of your three-credit courses is a third attempt (after receiving a passing grade in an earlier attempt) your financial aid will be based on nine credits and you will not be able to receive aid based on full-time enrollment. 
    • A second repeat is counted even if you received an incomplete grade. 
    A – Academic Record - Course withdrawals appear on your academic record and may affect graduate and career opportunities 


    Withdrawing increases the cost of your education, lengthens your time to obtain a degree, and creates additional periods of income loss while you make up lost credits. Withdrawals are noted on your transcripts (academic record). Your instructor will assign a mark to each course from which you withdrawal.

    • WF (Official Withdrawal Failing) is given when the student withdraws from the course in accordance with University policy and the student had earned a failing grade as of the date the withdrawal is approved.
    • WN (Withdrawal Non-Attendance) is given to student when there is no basis for a letter grade.
    • WP (Official Withdrawal Passing) is given when the student drops the course in accordance with University policy and the student had earned a passing grade as of the date the withdrawal is approved.
    • Instructors can also deny the request, and you will still be registered for the course.
    R-Repay - It's a good time to check your account to see if you have a balance with Wayne State.

    You can access your current account balance through your eBill.  Bill/Account Summary is a real-time view of your student account since the last e-bill was created.  Using this feature, you are able to see new charges and credits applied to your account since your last billing statement.


    ·         To see your current balance, using Academica, click on "Student Resources" > "Financial Records" > "Bill/Account Summary"

    A balance on your account can also come with a financial hold. Holds come from a variety of offices at Wayne State University. Save time and look up the contact information for your particular hold. A hold can only be lifted by the Office or Department that placed the hold on your account.
    • Check your account to see if you have a hold that could impact your ability to register for courses in an upcoming semester.
    • Log into Academica, click on "Student Resources" > "Student Records" > "Holds"
    There are several ways to pay your balance:

    Late Payment Fee: 

    A student who does not satisfy their tuition and fee assessment by the prescribed dates on the eBill for the applicable term shall be assessed a $25.00 Late Payment Fee if the past due balance is less than $500.00 or a $40.00 Late Payment Fee if the balance due is $500.00 or more. Late payment fees will be assessed each term after the tuition cancellation period ends and continue on a monthly basis until the account is paid in full or sent to collections.

    Things to know:

    • If you recently signed up for an installment payment plan, your hold will be removed when your first payment is reflected in your Statement and Payment History.
    • Check to make sure you accepted your financial aid.

      1. Select “Accept My Financial Aid Awards”.
      2. Select “Award by Aid Year” and choose the “2018-2019 Award Year”.
      3. Review the awards offered to accept all, or a portion, or decline the awards. Select “Submit Decision” when finished.
      4. Review any new Financial Aid Eligibility Requirements tied to the acceptance of awards.

        • Check to make sure you do not have unsatisfied student requirements.
        • In order to avoid a late payment fee, financial aid recipients must pay any difference between their awards and their tuition assessment by the end of the first week of classes. Students who do not make the required payment will have a hold placed on their records.  

    Enrollment StatusUsing the chart above answer the following questions about your enrollment status:

    R-Repay - If you withdraw, you may be required to repay a portion of your aid back to the university. 

    How a can course(s) withdrawals affects your personal finances?

    Return of Financial Aid

    If you drop, withdraw or cease attendance in all of your courses, you may be required to repay a portion of the financial aid you have already received. This can create a balance owed to Wayne State University on your ebill. It will likely also cause a registration hold to be placed on your account until the balance is paid.

    Repaying your loans
    Did you know that if you drop, withdraw or cease attendance in all of your courses, you might be required to repay a portion of your financial aid? The university is required to determine the amount of aid you have earned based on the last day you attended.  Keep in mind that Federal financial aid can be used for only one repeat of a previously passed course.  
    • Once WSU reports your withdrawal date, the grace period of your Federal loans will begin and you will be responsible for loan payments at the end of the grace period. 
    • You must repay your loans even if you do not complete your program.
    • You will need to keep making payments until you return to school half time in a later semester.

    The average undergraduate student at Wayne State takes out $7,384 per year in Stafford loans. Look at the average loan debt totals for students who take 4, 5, and 6 years to graduate and the estimated monthly repayments.  These numbers do not include Plus and Private loans.

    Years in school

    Average Undergraduate Loan Debt

    Estimate Repayment on a Standard 10 year plan, with a 6.8% interest rate

    Estimated Cumulative Payments:

    Estimated Total Interest Paid:

    1 year





    4 years





    5 years





    6 years





    ·         *

    You can contact your loan servicer to make payment arrangements or request a loan deferment or forbearance.

    Spring or summer session withdrawals

    Caution: If you withdraw from all courses in any summer session, and do not indicate your intent to attend courses, we are required to calculate an amount of financial aid to return to Federal programs. This may leave you with a balance owed to the university.

    If you drop credits or enroll less-than-half time before disbursement of the loan, you will no longer be eligible for the loan.

    Spring-summer Intent to Attend after Withdrawal form -  If you are receiving financial aid and you are withdrawing from all current spring (and/or) spring/summer classes, but you are registered in a class/classes that begin later this semester, you will need to fill out Spring-summer Intent to Attend after Withdrawal form.  If you do not the Office of Student Financial Aid will need to calculate a return of your financial aid.
    T – Time to Degree - Withdrawing extends the time and cost of your degree. 

    Withdrawing from courses increases the cost of your education, and can delay things like buying a home.  The time it takes you to earn your degree lengthens with each course withdrawal, or semester where you take fewer than 15 credit hours. It also increases the cost of your degree, your loan debt if you use loans, and creates loss of career income for the additional periods of future enrollment. 

    What does this additional debt burden and lost earning potential look like? Let’s review 3 hypothetical students.

    • Taylor takes 30 credit hours per term and doesn't withdraw from any courses. She completes her degree in 4 years and moves onto career employment.
    • Javier withdrawals from 6 credit hours and takes 5 years to complete his degree.
    • Brittany works part-time through school and withdraws from 14 credit hours during her program. She graduates in 6 years.

    Time to Degree Cost
    *Tuition is based on the 2017-2018 academic year tuition costs. Tuition can increase every year a student is in school. An estimate of $1000 per year in textbook cost was added to tuition.

    **Summer jobs for Taylor and Javier are estimated at 30 hours per week for 14 weeks, $7.25 an hour with no benefits

    ***Part time year round job for Brittany is estimated at 1040 annual hours at $9 an hour, with no benefits

    ****Entry level Career salary with about 31% in benefits 

    Brittany has earned the least amount in 7 years. She has the highest loan repayment and she spent an extra $6,656 in tuition, fees and book expenses.

    Your Course Plan to Graduation - Staying on track is easy with the right approach.

    Generally, students who request a SMART check are considering withdrawing from one or more classes.  Wayne State University wants you to carefully consider your options before you finalize your choice to withdraw from your class(es). If your planned withdrawal will change your status from full time, to less than full time, you should make an appointment with your Academic Advisor to talk about how this will affect your graduation plan.

    Page 2

    Student Support Services
    At Wayne State, we’ll do everything we can to see you succeed — and ultimately graduate. We have many campus resources to help you overcome obstacles and perform at your best and want to help you make a SMART decision.

    Academic Success Center

    The Academic Success Center (ASC) is to ensure that all Wayne State University students become self-determined, motivated and independent learners. We accomplish this through instruction and services that support students' development of skills to achieve academic excellence. Meet with a learning specialist, tutor, or attend workshops to build skills in studying, time management, test preparation, research paper writing, note taking and more. - ph. 313-577-2680

    SDS provides academic accommodations, resources and training in assistive technology, and information to foster understanding of disability throughout the university community. If you feel that you may require accommodations due to a special need or disability (permanent or temporary) contact the student disability services office., ph. 313-577-3365

    Meet with an academic advisor to define your academic goals, declare or change a major, make decisions about adding and dropping classes, or get help with understanding course requirements. - ph. 313-577-2680

    Servies are accessible, confidential and free.

    CAPS offer professional staff of psychologists, clinical social workers, and licensed professional counselors trained to work with college students. -  ph. 313-577-3398

    Withdrawal Period

    Last Day to Request Course Withdrawal for full term winter classes:     Sunday, March 24

    If your class is not full term, check your last day to withdraw on by selecting the course CRN (Course Reference Number).

    DO YOU STILL HAVE QUESTIONS? Contact the Student Service Center
    For office hours and contact information visit our website:

    Please click on the "Submit” button to complete your SMART Check withdrawal counseling. Once you hit Submit, the form may reset and take you back to the first page. If you have requested to discuss your decision, we will contact you within two business days.

    You will receive an email from the Student Service Center once your decision has been entered into STARS.  After your decision is update in STARS, your instructor will receive a notice to review your withdrawal request in Academica.