SMART Check Withdrawal Counseling - Online Course

| Resume a previously saved form
Resume Later

In order to be able to resume this form later, please enter your email and choose a password.

Page 1

You have indicated that you wish to withdraw from one or more courses this semester. Withdrawing from course(s) can have consequences for your future. This session will tell you about those consequences and give you options before you make your final decision.  

If you would like to open any links while completing the SMART Check, please right click on the link and choose, "Open link in a New Tab."

Withdrawal Period for Spring/Summer 2019

Check the academic calendar for the last day to withdraw for full term courses:

If your class is not full term, check your last day to withdraw on by selecting the course's Course Reference Number.

Consequences of Withdrawing - Make a SMART Choice 
SSAPWithdrawing will affect Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), jeopardizing financial aid in future terms.
MMoneyWithdrawing does not cancel tuition or fees. You are still charged for courses from which you withdraw.
AAcademic  RecordCourse withdrawals appear on your academic record and may affect graduate & career opportunities.
RRepayIf you withdraw, you may be required to repay a portion of your aid back to the university.
TTime to  DegreeWithdrawing extends the time and cost of your degree.
Your Course Plan to Graduation
Staying on track is easy with the right approach.

Generally, students who request a SMART check are considering  withdrawing from one or more classes.  Wayne State University wants you to carefully consider your options before you finalize your choice to withdraw from your class(es).

Things to consider on your path to graduation

Before the semester begins:

  • Declare a major because it is important to your academic success!
  • Follow your graduation plan and register for the courses you need.
  • Make all class changes before the semester starts.
After the semester has begun:
  • Check with your course instructor or advisor for alternatives to withdrawing.
  • Visit the Academic Success Center to learn about:
    • Tutoring, Supplemental Instruction, Study Skills Counseling, Workshops, and general study skills information. 
  • Understand the consequences of withdrawing from a class.
  • Complete the SMART Check counseling process
Note: Withdrawing from a class(es) does not cancel tuition or fees. You are still charged for the course(s) from which you withdrew. 

For Financial Aid Recipients: The best way to avoid losing part, or all of your aid, is to complete your classes.

Have you declared a major?

  • Declaring a major is important to your academic success. You must be pursuing a degree or in an eligible program in order to receive financial aid. 
  • If you have not declared a major, you must meet with your academic advisor. 
  • To find the appropriate academic advisor for your major click here.
  • If you borrow student loans, make sure your career plans can support your loan payment.
  • Visit the Career Services Office for career and job placement assistance

Degree Works is a Degree Audit software that provides Wayne State University with three components to assist students and advisors as they work towards graduation. Degree Works is available to Undergraduate Students. It will be available to graduate, law and medical students at a later date.

  • Degree Worksheet - This is a view of a student's academic history and present, that allows users to determine which requirements for degree are met.
  • Academic Plan - This is a semester-by-semester view of a student's academic present and future, mapping out a path to graduation based on classes remaining on the Degree Worksheet.
  • Transfer Equivalency Self-Service (coming at a later date) - Students who have not yet been admitted to Wayne State University can input their classes at their previous institutions and determine which requirements are satisfied by their transfer credit, as well as what is still left to take here at Wayne State University.
Goals for Students

Degree Works will assist students in achieving their goal of graduating on time by:
  • Reviewing their progress toward degree completion
  • Identifying courses that need to be completed
  • Selecting courses that meet your degree requirements
  • Planning courses to take in future semesters
  • Determining a projected graduation date
  • Choosing a new major, minor or second major
For videos on how to use the new Degree Works software, click here.

Graduate Students


STARS Degree Audit is a self-service tool that helps you evaluate your progress towards completion of your degree program. It provides answers to questions such as:
  • Which courses do I need to complete my general education requirements?
  • Which courses can I choose from to complete my major?
  • If I change my major, how would the courses I have already completed apply to a new major?
  • How many credits do I need to complete my degree?
  • What is my grade point average?
Degree Audit is located in Academica, under the Student Resources and then Student Records tabs, STARS for Degree Audit. By clicking on the Degree Audit in STARS, you can review the requirements of your current degree program by selecting "Generate New Evaluation" or you can select the "What If Analysis" to check out how the courses you have completed would apply to a new program or major.

Degree Audit is a tool that should be used to help you make the best course selections for your degree program. You should consult with your advisor to ensure that you are on the right track to reach your academic goals. Contact your academic advisor if you find any discrepancies in your audit.

You will find step-by-step instructions for using Degree Audit at the bottom of the Degree Audit webpage. Or watch the how-to video here: How to run your Degree Audit.

Questions about how to use Degree Audit can be sent to Questions about your program requirements should be directed to your advisor.
Do You Have a Degree Plan?

Reviewing your Degree Audit is the best way to make sure you are on track to graduation.

If you have not declared a major, you must meet with your academic advisor. You can schedule advising appointments on

Pre-Professional Programs

Please note, Wayne State University does not offer a degree in Pre-Law, Pre-Medicine, Pre-Dentistry, Pre-Veterinary, Pre-Physical Therapy, etc. Therefore, students following these program requirements must choose a degree program in order to earn a Bachelor’s Degree from Wayne State University.

To learn more :

q  Pre-Medical/Dental/Veterinary Information
q  Pre-Pharmacy Information
q  Pre-Law Information
q  Pre-Physical Therapy Information 
q  Pre-Physician Assistant Studies Information
q  Pre-Occupational Therapy Information
q  Pre-Osteopathic Medicine Information

Wayne State University's School of Medicine encourages students to fulfill degree requirements by selecting courses which will contribute significantly to a broad cultural background and by choosing a major in which one is interested. 

Because different schools of medicine may require credits in different subjects, students are advised to become familiar with Medical School Admission Requirements, a brochure which may be ordered from the Association of American Medical Colleges, 2450 N Street, N.W., Washington, D.C., 20037-1126.

Exploratory Track


Wayne State urges students to declare a major as soon as possible, as this is the best way to graduate in four years. For those who are not ready to make that choice upon admission, we offer exploratory tracks designed to help students find the right major.


Each track provides advising support and opportunities to explore majors within broadly defined academic areas. Students will satisfy general education requirements common to all majors while taking focused courses in the area of their choosing. Each track is limited to 45 credit hours or less, after which students must declare a major. Students may switch to another track at any time, but should meet with an advisor before doing so.


For more information on Exploratory Tracks, see our website.

Enrollment Status

fw enrollment
spsu enrollment

***One important consideration before you withdraw from your course(es) is your enrollment status. If you do not maintain full time status, you could lose future University Grants, scholarships.

Enrollment Status
Use the information above to answer the following questions about your enrollment.

Page 2

If you would like to open any links while completing the SMART Check, please right click on the link and choose, "Open link in a New Tab."
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)  

Even if you do not use Financial Aid, the Office of Student Financial Aid will review your account for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). If, in a future semester, you apply for financial aid and you are not meeting standards, you will not be eligible to receive funds.

You should check your status in Academica. Go to:

·          Academica (

·         Choose “Student Resources” then “Financial Aid”.

·         Click on “My Satisfactory Academic Progress”.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)  

The Office of Student Financial Aid must review your status each semester, to ensure that you are meeting satisfactory academic progress (SAP), and are eligible to receive your financial aid. If you do not meet the minimum requirements, you could lose your eligibility.


There are 3 criteria you must meet to at the end of each semester:

1  Cumulative grade point average - 2.0 GPA for undergraduate and Pharm.D. programs, 3.0 GPA for graduate programs

1  Pace - At least 67 percent of all credits attempted must have passing grades. Pace of progress is calculated by dividing the cumulative hours that you have successfully completed by the cumulative credits you have attempted.

1  Maximum time frame - Undergraduate and graduate students must complete a degree or certificate program in no more than 150 percent of the average published length of the program.

Note: Both pace and maximum time frame are measured in credits only, regardless of full-time or part-time attendance.


**WSU Law School: Law School student’s status is reviewed annually, and warning status does not apply. If you are not meeting standards, you will be denied aid. You may complete a SAP appeal.


What does your status mean? 

Financial Aid and Student Loan Consequences
Spring or summer session withdrawals
Caution: If you withdraw from all courses in any summer session, and do not indicate your intent to attend courses, we are required to calculate an amount of financial aid to return to federal programs. This may leave you with a balance owed to the university.

If you drop credits or enroll less-than-half time before disbursement of the loan, you will no longer be eligible for the loan.

Spring-summer Intent to Attend after Withdrawal form -  If you are receiving financial aid and you are withdrawing from all current spring (and/or) spring/summer classes, but you are registered in a class/classes that begin later this semester, you will need to fill out Spring-summer Intent to Attend after Withdrawal form.  If you do not the Office of Student Financial Aid will need to calculate a return of your financial aid.
Your enrollment status and your student loans

Repaying your loans

Did you know that if you drop, withdraw or cease attendance in all of your courses, you might be required to repay a portion of your financial aid? The university is required to determine the amount of aid you have earned based on the last day you attended.  Keep in mind that federal financial aid can be used for only one repeat of a previously passed course. 

  • Once WSU reports your withdrawal date, the grace period of your Federal loans will begin and you will be responsible for loan payments at the end of the grace period.
  • You must repay your loans even if you do not complete your program.
  • You will need to keep making payments until you return to school half time in a later semester.

The average undergraduate student at Wayne State takes out $7,384 per year in Stafford loans. Look at the average loan debt totals for students who take 4, 5, and 6 years to graduate and the estimated monthly repayments.  These numbers do not include Plus and Private loans.

Years in school

Average Undergraduate Loan Debt

Estimate Repayment on a Standard 10 year plan, with a 6.8% interest rate

Estimated Cumulative Payments:

Estimated Total Interest Paid:

1 year





4 years





5 years





6 years





·         *


Contact your loan servicer to make payment arrangements or request a loan deferment or forbearance.

fw enrollment
spsu enrollment
Lifetime Limits for Student Loans

The amount in loan funds that you are eligible to borrow each academic year is limited by the following factors:

  • grade level
  • dependent or an independent student
  • financial need
  • cost of attendance

Student levelLifetime maximum loan limit
Undergraduate dependent students (including second baccalaureate, teacher certification and post-baccalaureate certificate programs)$31,000 (of which no more than $23,000 can be subsidized loans)
Undergraduate independent students (including second baccalaureate, teacher certification and post-baccalaureate certificate programs)$57,500 (of which no more than $23,000 can be subsidized loans)
Graduate/professional students$138,500, including undergraduate loans (of which no more than $65,500 can be subsidized loans)
Allopathic medicine and other graduate students in certain health professions$224,000, including undergraduate loans (of which no more than $65,500 can be subsidized
Financial Aid and Student Loan Consequences  



Could you lose your financial aid?

If you drop, withdraw or cease attendance in all of your courses, you may be required to repay a portion of the financial aid you have already received. This may create a balance owed to WSU. You may also have a registration hold until the balance is paid.

For more information about the cancellation of unearned aid, visit the website.

Do you have a scholarship?

Annually at the end of May, the Office of Student Financial Aid will review your academic progress to determine if you are meeting the scholarship provisions. If you do not meet the scholarship requirements, your award will not be applied to your student account and may be canceled.

If you are an undergraduate student, merit award renewal criteria include enrollment in a minimum of 12 undergraduate WSU credits each fall and winter semester. You must earn a minimum of 24 credits each academic year. 


John has a Gold scholarship and enrolled in 12 credits in fall.  He withdraws from 3 credit hours and has a final grade point average of 3.0. For winter, John enrolls in 14 credit hours and withdraws from 4 credit hours. His final winter grade point average was a 3.0.

John has only completed 19 of the 26 credit hours for which he enrolled for the fall and winter and his cumulative grade point average (GPA) is a 3.0.  John goes to to see if he can keep his Gold scholarship for next year.

WSU Cumulative GPA Required to renew his Gold scholarship is a 3.3. The website also states, "You must earn a minimum of 24 credits each academic year."  John has only earned 19 credits fall and winter and his cumulative GPA is a 3.0.  John will lose his Gold scholarship.

Do you have a Wayne State grant? 

WSU Promise Grant Award Renewal

This award will be renewed if you meet the following requirements:

  • Enroll in and earn at least 24 credits each academic year
  • Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress standards
  • File the annual FAFSA and demonstrate high financial need with a low Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) figure. Your award amount is dependent on your demonstrated financial need, based on your FAFSA.


Jane is a Freshman and has a WSU Promise Grant. Will she be eligible for a renewal of her grant next year?

Jane went to the WSU Promise Grant Award Renewal website during her winter smart check and realized that she needed to earn 24 credits each academic year.  After the winter semester she had only earned 13 credit hours. Jane decided to enroll for 6 credit hours in the spring/summer semester to make sure that earned 24 credit hours for the academic year.  

Jane has earned 24 of the 31 credits she attempted at WSU.  Her pace for Satisfactory academic progress is 77% and her cumulative GPA is a 3.0.  She is meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress.  She has met the first two criteria to renew her WSU Promise Grant.  Now she just has to file her FAFSA and still demonstrate high financial need.

Page 3

If you would like to open any links while completing the SMART Check, please right click on the link and choose, "Open link in a New Tab."
Limits on Financial Aid for Repeated Courses 

Federal financial aid will pay for only one repeat if you have previously earned credit in a course with a passing grade.

  • ·         You are only eligible to receive financial aid the first time the course is repeated.

Example: If you are registered for 12 credits, and one of your three-credit courses is a third attempt (after receiving a passing grade in an earlier attempt) your financial aid will be based on nine credits and you will not be able to receive aid based on full-time enrollment.

  • ·         A second repeat is counted even if you received an incomplete grade.

Limits on your aid

Having a good graduation plan includes calculating how much financial aid will be available to you.
  • Federal Pell Grant Limits - Keep in mind that the Pell Grant is limited to 12 semesters of awards for full-time enrollment.
  • Federal Loan Limits - If you decide to borrow Federal student loans to help pay for your bachelor’s degree, remember that student loans also have lifetime limits. Once you reach these limits you will no longer be able to borrow. 
  • Subsidized loans also are limited to 12 semesters of full-time enrollment.
  • Scholarship & WSU Grant Limits - Most WSU scholarships will only be awarded for four years for incoming freshmen. These awards include but are not limited to the WSU Promise Grant, University, Presidential, Gold, Green and Detroit Urban Scholarships.
If your degree requires 120 credits, you will need to enroll in 15 credits each semester in order to graduate in four years.

Federal Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU) 
The Federal Pell Grant Program provides need-based grants to low-income undergraduates.
  • To apply for the Federal Pell Grant, file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA.)
  • The grant is only available to undergraduate students who have not yet earned a bachelor's or professional degree.
  • Award amounts for the 2017-18 award year ranged from $606 to $5,920.
  • This grant is pro-rated based on your enrollment. If you are enrolled less than full time, your grants will be reduced.
  • Awards will not be revised after the university census date, unless you drop all courses.

The maximum amount of Pell Grant funding a student can receive each year is equal to 100%. The 12-semester or six-year equivalent is 600%.
  • If you received 100% of your Federal Pell Grant award for 12 semesters, you will not have any remaining Federal Pell Grant eligibility.
How do I determine my remaining eligibility?
Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU) is tracked by the U.S. Department of Education and is based on full-time enrollment. 
  • Full-time enrollment (12 or more credits per semester) = 50% Pell Grant
  • Three-quarters time enrollment (9, 10 or 11 credits per semester) = 37.5% Pell Grant
  • One-half time enrollment (6, 7 or 8 credits per semester) = 25% Pell Grant
  • Less than one-half time (5 or less credits per semester) = 12.5% Pell Grant
  • Log on to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) website using your FSA ID to view your Pell LEU under "Grants. "  You will see your percentage used. 
What are my other options?
If you haven’t done so already, follow these steps to finish your program:
  • See your academic advisor and put a plan of work in place with courses scheduled up to graduation.
  • Check Academica to review and complete any outstanding financial aid requirements.
  • File the FAFSA and turn in any outstanding documents early in order to be considered for all available funding.

Apply for scholarships


Wayne State students often qualify for awards from external organizations and we encourage you to pursue all opportunities. Apply now. If you wait too long you might miss an important deadline. Links and information are available on our External Scholarship page.

The Wayne State Private Scholarship application is generally available November through March. Not all WSU Private Scholarships require submission of the Private Scholarship Application. If the Private Scholarship Application requirement is not indicated in the description of the scholarship, then only the submission of the FAFSA is required.

  • Submit your FAFSA and all documents by March 31 to be considered for these awards. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available in January for the upcoming academic year at 

Balances and Payment Plans

Current Balance with Wayne State University

You can access your current account balance through your eBill.  Current account balance is a real-time view of your student account since the last e-bill was created.  Using this feature, you are able to see new charges and credits applied to your account since your last billing statement.


·         To see your current balance, using Academica, click on "Student Resources" > "Financial Records" > "Bill/Account Summary"

Paying your Balance

How can you pay your balance?

o   Check Payments

o   Internet ACH Payments

o   Credit Card Payments

o   MyWSUCard

o   Cash Payments

o   Wire Payment

o   Installment Payment Plan (IPP)

Installment Payment Plans

Wayne State University offers the following optional Installment Payment Plans which allow students and/or parents to spread payments of educational expenses over a scheduled payment period.


Tuition Management Systems (TMS)

Payment plans administered by Tuition Management Systems are offered for Fall and Winter semesters. A Spring/Summer plan is not available through TMS.

Contact TMS for more information at or by calling 1-800-722-4867.

WSU Internal Payment Plans

Currently enrolled students who have missed the opportunity to enroll in the TMS Fall and/or Winter payment plans may enroll in WSU’s Installment Payment Plans at certain times of the year. WSU plans allow students and/or parents to spread payments over the remaining 2 or 3 months of the semester. You can call Student Accounts Receivable at 313-577-3653 and choose option 5 to check if there are any Internal Payment Plans at this time.

For more information about WSU plans and student eligibility, log into WSU Academica and click on Online Payments> Installment Payment Plan Menu. To enroll in a plan, click on "WSU Installment Plan Enrollment". If a plan is open for enrollment, monthly payments and billing information will display. Follow the instructions to complete enrollment.

Late Payment Fee: 

A student who does not satisfy their tuition and fee assessment by the prescribed dates on the eBill for the applicable term shall be assessed a $25.00 Late Payment Fee if the past due balance is less than $500.00 or a $40.00 Late Payment Fee if the balance due is $500.00 or more. Late payment fees will be assessed each term after the tuition cancellation period ends and continue on a monthly basis until the account is paid in full or sent to collections.


Holds come from a variety of offices at Wayne State University. Save time and look up the contact information for your particular hold. A hold can only be lifted by the Office or Department who placed the hold on your account.

  • You can check the type of hold on your account using Academica.
    • Click the Student Resources > Student Records > Holds
  • If you recently signed up for an installment payment plan, your hold will be removed when your first payment is reflected in your Statement and Payment History.
  • Check to make sure you accepted your financial aid.

    1. Select “Accept My Financial Aid Awards”.
    2. Select “Award by Aid Year” and choose the “2018-2019 Award Year”.
    3. Review the awards offered to accept all or a portion or decline the awards. Select “Submit Decision” when finished.
    4. Review any new Financial Aid Eligibility Requirements tied to the acceptance of awards.

  • Check to make sure you do not have unsatisfied student requirements.
  • In order to avoid a late payment fee, financial aid recipients must pay any difference between their awards and their tuition assessment by the end of the first week of classes. Students who do not make the required payment will have a hold placed on their records.  

Time to Degree Completion

Withdrawing from courses increases the cost of your education, and can delay things like buying a home.  The time it takes you to earn your degree lengthens with each course withdrawal, or semester where you take fewer than 15 credit hours. It also increases the cost of your degree, your loan debt if you use loans, and creates loss of career income for the additional periods of future enrollment. 


What does this additional debt burden and lost earning potential look like? Let’s review 3 hypothetical students.


·         Taylor takes 30 credit hours per term and doesn't withdrawal from any courses. She completes her degree in 4 years and moves onto career employment.

·         Javier withdrawals from 6 credit hours and takes 5 years to complete his degree.

·         Brittany works part-time through school and withdrawals from 14 credit hours during her program. She graduates in 6 years.

Time to Degree

*Tuition is based on the 2017-2018 academic year tuition costs. Tuition can increase every year a student is in school. An estimate of $1000 per year in textbook cost was added to tuition.

**Summer jobs for Taylor and Javier are estimated at 30 hours per week for 14 weeks, $7.25 an hour with no benefits

***Part time year round job for Brittany is estimated at 1040 annual hours at $9 an hour, with no benefits

****Entry level Career salary with about 31% in benefits

Brittany has earned the least amount in 7 years. She has the highest loan repayment and she spent an extra $6,656 in tuition, fees, and book expenses.

Page 4

Student Support Services
At Wayne State, we’ll do everything we can to see you succeed — and ultimately graduate. We've designed many campus resources to help you overcome obstacles and perform at your best.

Academic Success Center
Tutoring 313-577-3246
Meet with a learning specialist, tutor, or attend workshops to build skills in studying, time management, test preparation, research paper writing, note taking and more.

Academic Success Center

The Academic Success Center (ASC) is to ensure that all Wayne State University students become self-determined, motivated and independent learners., Ph. 313-577-2680


Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

CAPS is part of Student Services and is the university agency dedicated to provide counseling and psychological services for Wayne State students and to provide consultation and outreach to the university community in support of student welfare, ph. 313-577-3398


Math Success Services 

The Math Resource Center (MRC) is a free tutoring service provided by the Department of Mathematics for all students who are currently enrolled in mathematics classes at Wayne State University. The MRC also provides assistance to incoming WSU students as well as alumni that are trying to fulfill the WSU mathematics competency requirement., Ph. 313-577-3195


Student Disability Services (SDS)

The mission of Student Disability Services (SDS) is to serve as a resource for the Wayne State University community in order to ensure academic access and inclusion for students, supporting a view of disability guided by social, cultural, and political forces., Ph. 313-577-3365


University Advising Center

Meet with an academic advisor to define your academic goals, declare or change a major, make decisions about adding and dropping classes, or get help with understanding course requirements., Ph. 313-577-2680


Writing Center

The WRT Zone (2nd floor, UGL) provides individual tutoring consultations, research assistance from librarians, and technology consultants, all free of charge for graduate and undergraduate students at WSU.  The WRT Zone serves as a resource for writers, researchers, and students’ technology projects., Ph. 313-577-2544

Withdrawal Period for Winter 2019

Last Day to request course withdrawal for full term winter classes:     Sunday, March 24

If your class is not full term, check your last day to withdraw on by selecting the course's Course Reference Number.

DO YOU STILL HAVE QUESTIONS? Contact the Student Service Center
For office hours and contact information visit our website:

Please click on the "Submit” button to complete your SMART Check withdrawal counseling. Once you hit Submit, the form may reset and take you back to the first page. If you have requested to discuss your decision, we will contact you within two business days.

You will receive an email from the Student Service Center once your decision has been entered into STARS.  After your decision is update in STARS, your instructor will receive a notice to review your withdrawal request in Academica.